September 23, 1891 - The Biloxi Library Association files with the State of Mississippi for a Charter.
About 1893 - A subscription library (borrowers pay an annual fee) is in operation in Pass Christian. The Library continued this operation for several years.
April 8, 1893 - A newspaper article reports on efforts to organize a public library in Biloxi.
1894 - A subscription library is organized in Long Beach. It is destroyed by fire in 1923.
1898 - King's Daughters found first free public library in Mississippi, in Biloxi. It was destroyed by fire in 1900, but was reestablished in the Creole Cottage.
Top of Page
November 9, 1900 - Fire in Downtown Biloxi destroyed 90 buildings, including
the King's Daughters Library building.
Top of Page
March 23, 1911 - More than 1,000 volumes had been loaned out since January 1, 1911 from The King's Daughters Library in Biloxi. Collection totals 3,000. See newspaper article.
October 27, 1911 - First steps were taken to organize a Library Association in Gulfport. A meeting
was held at the Gulfport City Hall. The
original Newspaper article gives the details.
About 1912 - Gulfport City Ordinance No. 337
established a free public library in a section of Gulfport City Hall.
1913 - King's Daughters operated a small free library under staircase in Gulfport City Hall.
March, 1916 - Mayor George M. Foote of Gulfport reported that the Andrew Carnegie Corporation had made an appropriation of $10,000 for a 2,800 square foot Carnegie Library in Gulfport. Support for this operation came from city taxes.
November 20, 1916 - Time Capsule Ceremonies were held for the new Gulfport-Carnegie Public Library, which was still under construction. For more details and photos click here.
April 2, 1917 - After about six months of construction, the Gulfport-Carnegie Public Library officially opened. Mrs. S. M. Williams is named Librarian. The City of Gulfport budgets a monthly "allowance" of $35.00 for Mrs. Williams salary and to purchase books and supplies.
Top of Page
June 1, 1925 - Biloxi Library moved from the Creole Cottage to it's new building
at 124 Lameuse Street (present address) designed by local architect Carl Matthes. Librarian
Miss Bridges, New Orleans City Librarian Henry M. Gill, and Biloxi Mayor
Kennedy attend the formal opening. Biloxi city tax support for public libraries dates from this event.
1925-1926 - Automobile carrying boxes of books begins service to county areas from the Gulfport Carnegie Library.
1926 - Gulfport-Carnegie Library opens a county extension department, and the library begins to receive county funds on an annual basis.
- Virgie Fayard became the librarian of the Biloxi Public Library.
Top of Page
June 25, 1930 - Mollie Rodenberg, former Librarian of the Biloxi Library (1905-1925),
passed away at age 82. See the original newspaper article.
1931 - Florence Freidhoff was named the Head Librarian of the
Biloxi Public Library
1935 - Harrison County Rural Library stations and auto routes were established under
Hyacinth Yerger with primarily funding from the Works Progress
1939 - Long Beach established a free public library.
Top of Page
1941 - Harrison County purchased a bookmobile.
1941-1943 - Harrison County Rural Library evolved into Harrison County
Library and moved from the Gulf and Ship Island Building in Gulfport to
an office on 25th Avenue in Gulfport.
1944 - Miss Maria Person
was appointed as the Head of the Harrison County Library. She was the first library science degree holder to be employed by a library in Harrison County.
February, 1947 - With funding from Harrison County and the Lions
Club, the Gulfport-Carnegie Library opened a branch at the corner of 19th Street and 43rd Avenue in
Gulfport. It later became known as the West Branch.
October, 1947 - The Harrison County Library and the Gulfport Carnegie
Library merged. The new Library is known as the Gulfport Carnegie-Harrison County Library.
Maria Person is appointed as Head Librarian.
Top of Page
1951 - Gulfport Carnegie-Harrison County Library opened a second
branch, the East Branch, in the Soria City area of Gulfport.
1953 - Gulfport Carnegie-Harrison County Library purchased a new bookmobile to replace the l94l vehicle.
Top of Page
1961 - The Pass Christian Library Commission formed to promote the establishment of public library service in Pass Christian.
1962 - Biloxi Public Library opened the Division Street Station in Biloxi. Later designated a branch,
it became a Children's Library.
1963 - Maria Person, Gulfport Head Librarian, served as the President
of the Mississippi Library Association.
1964 - House Bill No. 716 passed by legislature. Bill provides the legal framework for construction and operation of a new City-County main library to replace the aging and over-crowded Carnegie building in downtown Gulfport. The bill establishes a ten-person board (five appointed by supervisors; five by Gulfport City Commission) to control the library and provides a new formula for the continual support of the library (three-fourths of funding from Harrison County, one-fourth from City of Gulfport). The bill also designates $140,000 in county funds for the construction or equipping of public libraries in Biloxi, Long Beach, and Pass Christian, or in any one of these.
1965 - Gulfport Carnegie-Harrison County Library purchased a new bookmobile to replace the l953 vehicle.
July 1965 - Construction began on the
new Gulfport-Harrison County Public Library on 21st Ave at 14th Street.
July 1966 - The new Gulfport-Harrison County Library opened. Read the original Daily Herald newspaper article. The building's $892,000 cost financed from bonds issued by Harrison County. Please see the original photographs from 1966.
November 27, 1966 - Formal Dedication Ceremonies
held for the new Gulfport-Harrison County Library building.
1968 - The Biloxi Public Libraries' West Biloxi Library Branch opened.
August, 1969 - The new library building in Gulfport is seriously damaged by Hurricane Camille, the only public library in the county to be badly damaged. Services are suspended for some weeks.
Approximately 45,000 volumes lost in the storm.
December, 1969 - The American Library Association published, in its December 19th edition of the ALA Bulletin, an article describing damage suffered from Hurricane Camille to Coastal
Top of Page
March, 1970 - B. W. Finkbiner
was hired as the Business Manager for the Gulfport-Harrison County Library.
1971 - Friends of the Pass Christian Library organization formed.
1971 - After some years of declining use, the East and West
Gulfport Branches are closed by the Gulfport-Harrison County Library.
July, 1972 - Maria Person ,
Gulfport Head Librarian for over twenty-seven years, passed
away. B. W. Finkbiner, Business Manager, takes over as head of the Gulfport-Harrison County Library.
September 5, 1972 - Florence Freidhoff,
Head Librarian of the Biloxi Public Library for forty years, passed away.
She is still the longest serving Head Librarian of the Biloxi Public
September 1972 - Blondie Broom Hartmann is named the Acting Head
Librarian for the Biloxi Public Library.
December, 1972 - Chairman of the Gulfport-Harrison County Library
Board signs an agreement with the Mississippi Library Commission (MLC) that makes Harrison County public libraries eligible for funds from the Commission's Personnel Grants Incentive Program. Terms for participating in this program require recipients to be in a county or multi-county library system headed by a director who holds a master's degree from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited library school.
In fiscal year 1972-1973, libraries in Harrison County receive $143,227 from the grant, including salary for professional librarian recently employed in Pass Christian where a new library building is under construction.
May, 1973 - Using a Mississippi Library Commission owned bookmobile as a temporary building, the Gulfport-Harrison County Library opens regular branch library service in the Orange Grove area of the county.
The Bookmobile is soon replaced by a mobile home also loaned by the Commission.
June, 1973 - Announcement of plans to build a new library in Orange Grove. Also, Mr. Finkbiner, implementing the library system concept, sets up a centralized interlibrary loan office in the Gulfport-Harrison County Library and a twice-a-week
intralibrary delivery service. Both are discussed in this newspaper article.
June, 1973 - Norman Graham is employed as director of the Gulfport-Harrison County Library. The State Library Commission regards his employment as fulfilling the requirement that the county library system be headed by a qualified librarian.
June, 1973 - New public library building opened in Pass Christian. Funds for building from: Harrison County - $50,000; Hurricane Camille "we care" funds - $72,716; City of Pass Christian, $16,000.
October, 1973 - A newspaper article reports that Biloxiís oldest library (The Creole Cottage) is to be relocated and restored.
1974 - Friends of the Gulfport-Harrison County Library organized.
May, 1974 - Gulfport-Harrison County Library establishes Harrison County Library System Technical Processing Center serving all the library jurisdictions in the county.
September, 1974 - Gulfport-Harrison County Library receives a grant of $51,293 from Mississippi Library Commission to produce the Mississippi Union List of Periodicals, a computer generated listing of the periodical holdings of some 40 of the largest libraries in the state. This immensely complicated project, the first major computerized publication ever produced in the state, is successfully completed in June, 1975. William E. Stant is hired to complete this complex project.
December, 1974 - The Orange Grove Branch moved into the Norwood Village Shopping
May, 1975 - Friends of the Biloxi Library organization holds first meeting.
September, 1975 - A scale model of Biloxi's proposed $1.6 million Library and Cultural Center is exhibited at the first general meeting of the Friends of the Biloxi Library.
September 1975 - A proposed contract for the new Harrison County
Library System was completed. The contract left local library autonomy intact and
created a representative Advisory Board.
October, 1975 - Ground breaking ceremonies are scheduled and held for the new Biloxi Public Library-Cultural Center.
February 1976 - The Advisory Board of the Harrison County Library System holds its initial meeting.
Norman Graham was appointed Acting Director of the Harrison County Library
May, 1976 - The Pass Christian Public Library became a member of the system.
September, 1976 - A library branch opened in the North Bay (now
D'Iberville) area of Harrison County.
September 1, 1976 - Blondie Broom Hartmann retired from the Biloxi
Public Library after twenty years of service.
October 1976 - The Harrison County Library System began its first fiscal year of
operation. System Headquarters, housed in the Gulfport-Harrison County Library,
ran a technical processing center, bookkeeping office, and interlibrary loan office.
September 11, 1977 - The Biloxi Library and Cultural Center
at 139 Lameuse Street officially opened in a 33,400 square foot building.
September 1977 - The system Bookmobile service was retired, and
a route serving nursing and retirement homes, the County Farm, day care centers,
and the Juvenile Court was established.
December 1978 - The new Orange Grove Branch
March 1979 - The new D'Iberville Library Branch building opened.
Top of Page
August 1980 - The Harrison County Library System compiled,
published, and distributed the Directory of Libraries in the Coastal Mississippi Area and a Union List of Selected Reference Works. Publication
covered six counties and described over 100 libraries.
September 1982 - Charline Longino was named the Head Librarian for
the Biloxi Public Libraries.
August 8, 1983 - Harrison County supervisors, by resolution of August 8, 1983, created
the Harrison County Public Library System, under control of
a five-member board made up of representatives from the municipal library boards, the city-county board, and one member from the county at large.
August 1, 1984 - The Genealogy Room at the Biloxi Public Library was
dedicated in memory of Blondie Broom Hartmann
October, 1988 - Japanese children
provide a doll lost in Camille to the Gulfport Public Library.
20, 1989 - The City of Biloxi awarded the Biloxi Public Library the
Heritage Week Award during Historic Preservation Week
Top of Page
March 1, 1993 - Norman Graham retired after nearly 20 years of
service as the Director of the Harrison County Library System. Gulfport librarian Coleen Byrd steps
became the Acting Director.
August 8, 1993 - Richard Mobley was hired as the Director of the Harrison County Library System.
November, 1994 - The Harrison County Library System launched a $100,000 fund raising campaign to help pay for a new computerized card catalog system.
1995 - Charline Longino, Head Librarian of the Biloxi Public
Libraries, served as the President of the Mississippi Library Association.
2, 1995 - New D'Iberville Public Library opened on Auto Mall Parkway.
- Celia Barrett was named the Head Librarian for the Gulfport Public
May 26, 1996 - Larry Stull was hired as the Computer Systems Administrator for the Harrison County Library
September 1996 - Richard Mobley resigned as the Director of the Harrison County Library System. Norman Graham
was named Acting Director.
September 1996 - The long awaited computerized card catalog system is installed, linking all eight libraries together, and centralizing the card catalog system.
April 15, 1997 - Robert Lipscomb was
named Director of the Harrison County Library System. He brought with him many years of experience working
in and running libraries and systems.
November 5, 1997 - The Harrison County Library System launched its web site at www.harrison.lib.ms.us. By the end of 1999, the web site had grown to over 100 pages and had received over 300,000 visitors, averaging close to 1,000 visitors a day.
January - March, 1998 - The Harrison County Library System purchased twenty-five new personal computers for placement in public areas of the eight
libraries for Internet access, word processing, and card catalog access.
April, 1999 - The Harrison County Library System received a grant for the purchase of computer
equipment from the Gates Library Foundation, a non-profit organization now known as Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
August, 1999 - The General Services Administration (GSA), an agency of the Federal Government,
wanted to purchase the Gulfport Public Library site for the construction of a new federal courthouse.
September - December, 1999 - A group of over 300 library supporters is formed and rally to save the Gulfport Library from demolition.
Top of Page
February 16, 2000 - GSA announced that it
would not tear down the Gulfport Library to build the new federal courthouse.
February 18, 2000 - Robert Lipscomb, Director of the Harrison County Library System,
announced plans to locally raise $300,000 and apply for $300,000 in state matching
funds to renovate the thirty-four year old Gulfport Library, and "restore the building to its original
December 12, 2002 - The groundbreaking ceremony for the addition of the Margaret S. Sherry Library was held.
January 16, 2004 - Grand Reopening of the Margaret S. Sherry Memorial
Library Branch. A collection of pictures are available here.
2004 - The West Biloxi Library/Ohr-O'Keefe Museum of Art-Pleasant
Reed House were awarded a grant by the MetLife Foundation Reading
April 2, 2005 - Melissa Saucier Bratton was named the Systems
Administrator for the Harrison County Library System.
April 22, 2005 - Murella H. Powell retired from the Biloxi Public
Library after thirty-three years of service. The Local History &
Genealogy Department collections are renamed "The Murella H. Powell
Local History & Genealogy Collection."
August 29, 2005 - Several libraries within the Harrison County
Library System were either destroyed or severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina.
2005 - Sally James became the Head Librarian of the Pass Christian
2005 - Library service in the Harrison County Library System resumed
on a limited basis. Many braches remained closed due to
October 2005 - The Biloxi Public Library was awarded a National
Endowment for the Humanities Chairman's Grant to help stabilize and
preserve the Local
History & Genealogy Department Collections.
November 5, 2005 - The Pass Christian Library reopened in War
Memorial Park with the donation of two trailers from DuPont DeLisle
January 2, 2007 - The D'Iberville Public Library reopened.
June 14, 2007 - Ribbon Cutting ceremonies were held at
the East Biloxi Temporary Library (150 Bellman St., Biloxi, MS) and the
Woolmarket Temporary Library (8455 Woolmarket Rd, Biloxi, MS).
Grant funding for the temporary library trailers was provided by the
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and SOLINET.
June 15, 2007 -
Ribbon Cutting ceremony held at the Gulfport Temporary Library located
at 47 Maples Drive in Gulfport, MS. Grant funding for the
temporary library trailer was provided by the Bill & Melinda Gates
Foundation and SOLINET.
November 2007 - The Local History &
Genealogy Department was awarded a grant from the Connecticut Book Party
for programming and relocation expenses.
June 20, 2008 - D'Iberville
Head Librarian Nancy Soder retired. Lucienne Gautier was named the
new Head Librarian for D'Iberville.
July 31, 2008 - The D'Iberville
Public Library was officially renamed the Jerry Lawrence Memorial
Library in honor of the late Mr. Lawrence's contributions to the city
and his service as the first mayor of the city.
August 2008 -
Bush Clinton Katrina Funds were awarded to the West Biloxi Library for
post-Katrina repairs to the existing building. Funds of $300,000
were allocated to the library for roof reconstruction.
2008 - Bush Clinton Katrina Funds were awarded to the Pass Christian
Library to assist in re-building a new library for Pass Christian.
Funds totaling $300,000 were allocated to the library project.
October 27, 2008
- The Biloxi Public Library's Local History & Genealogy Department
officially reopened in downtown Biloxi after relocating to135 Main
Street on the third floor of the Biloxi Post Office. The ceremonies mark
the first time since 2005 that the HCLS historical collections are
consolidated in one location.
December 8, 2008
- The Orange Grove Library celebrated its 30th Annivesary with an holiday-themed open house and refreshments.
February 20, 2009 - The groundbreaking for the new Pass Christian Library occurred at 11:00 a.m. An open house at the Pass Christian Library's War Memorial Park location was held afterwards where shrimp and grits and other luncheon items were served.
Top of Page